Computers & Internet
Tompkins County Public Library's Adult Services and Youth Services Departments offer the public free use of computers, software and Internet access.
Access to the Internet
The Library provides free access to computers for adults and children to search the Internet using both Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. All Internet use in the Library requires you to agree to our Internet Access Services Rules. (Please note: In order to use Library-supplied Internet computers, as well as the wireless network, users must be registered TCPL library card holders.)
All users are limited to one hour per day which may be used in multiple sessions.
Children ages 8-13 may use the children’s internet computers with a valid library card and internet permission from a parent or guardian.
Teens ages 14-17 with a valid library card and internet permission from a parent or guardian may use the computers in the Teen PC area or the Adult Services Department.
The Library provides wireless (Wi-Fi) service to users with laptops from anywhere in the building. A library card is required and there are no time limits. No printing service is available from the wireless service. For more information, check out the FAQs and Set-up Directions
Printing & Scanning
Print cards are needed to print from the public computers. Print cards cost $1.00 and come encoded with 60¢. You can add funds to these cards and use them time and again. Black and white prints are 10¢ per page & color prints are 60¢ per page. No printing service is available for users using their own laptops and the wireless service.
A scanner is available for emailing or saving scanned documents (library card required for log-in).
Software Available on Library Computers
Microsoft Office 2010
OverDrive Digital Download Station
Our download station allows users to check out library eBooks and eAudiobooks and then transfer the titles to their eReaders, MP3 players, iPods, etc. Please ask at the Adult Services Reference Desk for assistance.
WinWay Resume Deluxe
Available on the Library’s internet and word processing computers, the resume software features 14,000 sample resumes for more than 35,000 common job titles. Users will also be able to:
- Create persuasive resume cover letters, ad response letters and interview thank you letters.
- Receive expert advice in full motion video to create professional looking resumes and cover letters and negotiate salary and benefits with confidence.
- Find answers to 200+ difficult interview & salary questions.
- Access current job openings anywhere in the U.S.A. from leading job search sites.
More information is available at tcpl-news.blogspot.com/2011/01/library-offers-new-resume-writing.html.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing®
For Library Use on designated computers
For Library use only on designated computers.
- Rosetta Stone Version 1: English (US) Level 1, 2 & 3
- Rosetta Stone Version 3: English (US) Level 1, 2 & 3
- Rosetta Stone Version 3: Spanish (Latin America) Level 1, 2 & 3
Early Learning Software
The four Early Learning Computers in the Children’s Room have software with activities ranging from reading & phonics to science & music, and some that are just for fun. Visit the children's webpage for Computers & Early Learning Software for more detailed information!
The Teen PC area has software for ages 14 - 17.
- Career Spins (Independent Living Resources, Inc.)
- High School Advantage (Riverdeep Educational Software)
- Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games (Encore Software)
- Kaplan SAT-ACT-PSAT (TOPICS Entertainment)
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (Encore Software)
- Microsoft Office 2003
- Microsoft Student 2006
- WinWay Resume Deluxe (Nova Development Corp.)
Internet Services Available
For the purposes of system security and stability, Internet services available are limited. The following table describes the permitted services as well as some which are explicitly blocked.
Public Internet Access Computers
Floorjacks & Wireless Access Network
Documents in pdf format require Adobe Reader for viewing.