Computers & Internet
Tompkins County Public Library's Adult Services and Youth Services Departments offer the public free use of computers, software and Internet access.
Computer Access Guidelines (from Library Code of Conduct, October 2015)
- Your Internet use must be consistent with this policy, Library Code of Conduct, which has been adopted and is posted in the Library. Your use of the Library's Internet computers and services is a privilege, not a right.
- If you are 12 years of age or under, you must have the authorization of a parent or guardian to disclose your personal information on the Internet.
- You may not make unauthorized disclosure of, use of, or dissemination of any minor's personal information by means of the Internet, email, or any electronic technology.
- You must not display or print images of child pornography, or those which are sexually explicit, obscene, or harmful to minors. These images are expressly prohibited under N.Y. Penal Law § 235.00-235.24.
- Internet computers and network services may not be used for illegal activities, including the harassment of others. You may not misrepresent yourself when using the Internet.
- You may not tamper with, alter, edit, damage or remove computer hardware, data and/or software.
Internet Access - Wired & Wireless Access
- This Internet access option is open to patrons of all ages; parents or guardians of children are responsible for supervising and guaranteeing their child's proper and safe use of the Internet.
- Your use of the Library's Internet access constitutes your acceptance if this Internet policy.
- You are responsible for configuring your equipment to access the Library's service.
Library-Supplied Internet Computers
- All Internet users must be registered TCPL or FLLS library card holders.
- Internet computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis for the next available computer.
- Users may have up to 90 minutes per day, which may be used in multiple sessions.
- Users may not extend their time by using other library cards.
- The Information and Learning Services Internet computers are reserved for adults and young adults ages 13 and older.
- The Teen Internet computers are reserved for young adults ages 13-17.
- The Youth Services Internet computers are reserved for children ages 5-12.
- The Library reserves the right to limit the number of people at individual Internet computers.
The Library provides wireless (Wi-Fi) service to users with laptops from anywhere in the building. A library card is required and there are no time limits. No printing service is available from the wireless service. For more information, check out the FAQs and Set-up Directions
Printing & Scanning
Black and white prints are 10¢ per page & color prints are 60¢ per page. No printing service is available for users using their own laptops and the wireless service (coming soon).
A scanner is available for emailing or saving scanned documents (library card required for log-in).
Software Available on Library Computers
Microsoft Office 2010
OverDrive Digital Download Station
Our download station allows users to check out library eBooks and eAudiobooks and then transfer the titles to their eReaders, MP3 players, iPods, etc. Please ask at the Adult Services Reference Desk for assistance.
WinWay Resume Deluxe
Available on the Library’s internet and word processing computers, the resume software features 14,000 sample resumes for more than 35,000 common job titles. Users will also be able to:
- Create persuasive resume cover letters, ad response letters and interview thank you letters.
- Receive expert advice in full motion video to create professional looking resumes and cover letters and negotiate salary and benefits with confidence.
- Find answers to 200+ difficult interview & salary questions.
- Access current job openings anywhere in the U.S.A. from leading job search sites.
More information is available at tcpl-news.blogspot.com/2011/01/library-offers-new-resume-writing.html.
Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing®
For Library Use on designated computers
For Library use only on designated computers.
- Rosetta Stone Version 1: English (US) Level 1, 2 & 3
- Rosetta Stone Version 3: English (US) Level 1, 2 & 3
- Rosetta Stone Version 3: Spanish (Latin America) Level 1, 2 & 3
Early Learning Software
The four Early Learning Computers in the Children’s Room have software with activities ranging from reading & phonics to science & music, and some that are just for fun. Visit the children's webpage for Computers & Early Learning Software for more detailed information!
The Teen PC area has software for ages 13 - 17.
- Career Spins (Independent Living Resources, Inc.)
- High School Advantage (Riverdeep Educational Software)
- Hoyle Puzzle and Board Games (Encore Software)
- Kaplan SAT-ACT-PSAT (TOPICS Entertainment)
- Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (Encore Software)
- Microsoft Office 2003
- Microsoft Student 2006
- WinWay Resume Deluxe (Nova Development Corp.)
Internet Services Available
For the purposes of system security and stability, Internet services available are limited. The following table describes the permitted services as well as some which are explicitly blocked.
Public Internet Access Computers
Floorjacks & Wireless Access Network