Please visit the Access and Circulation Services desk to register for a library card or register online for a temporary card.
A person must be present when applying for his/her card. A parent or legal guardian with photo ID must accompany a person under 17 and sign the application.
When registering for a library card, please bring:
- a photo ID
- proof of address (if your photo ID does not have your current address). This can be a bill, lease, or other piece of mail with your name and current address.
Library cards are free to the residents of the chartered service area of the Finger Lakes Library System, consisting of the counties of Tompkins, Cayuga, Cortland, Seneca, and Tioga, as well as those living in Schuyler County. Non-resident cards are $25 per year.
Tompkins County residents who are patrons of Dryden (Southworth), Groton, Lansing, Newfield, Trumansburg (Ulysses Philomathic), or Tompkins County Public Library may borrow items and use the services of any Tompkins County library with a single card. Those who live outside of Tompkins County, but within one of the six Finger Lakes Library System counties listed above, may apply for a free TCPL card but cannot use another county library card at TCPL.
Please report your lost card as soon as possible. A lost card can be replaced for $2.00. If you forget your card, you may still check out materials with proper ID.
If a library card is not used in three years, it is automatically removed from the library's database of users.
Forgot your library card? No problem! Now your smartphone can be your library card!
How it works
Using your smartphone as your library card is pretty simple. Here's how it works:
- Install a loyalty card app on your phone (see instructions below)
- Select your books and other library materials.
- Go to the Circulation desk (our self-checkout machines will not scan these apps)
- Hold out your phone so the clerk can scan your “card”
Please note: even if you store your card on your smartphone, it is important for you to contact the library if you lose your plastic card.
Installing a card app
Follow these steps to install CardStar or Key Ring on your phone and add your library card. There are other options out there too.
- Install the CardStar app:
- Open the CardStar app.
- Touch the plus sign (+) button to add a card.
- Select "Tompkins County Public Library" in the list of merchants.
- Scan your library card number in the "Card Number" box. You can also enter the number manually.
- Install the Key Ring app:
iOS App Store - https://www.keyringapp.com/iphone_store
Google Play Store - www.keyringapp.com/android_store
Other Phones - keyringapp.com/download
Or scan the QR code to the right.
- Open the Key Ring app.
- Touch the (+) sign to add a card.
- Scan the barcode. You can also enter the number manually, but note that you must capitalize the “D” or the app will not recognize it.
- Tap “Select a Retailer” and search for or scroll down to “Tompkins County Public Library.”
- Touch the "Create Card" button to finish.