Virtual Library Cards
SCAN YOUR CARD
Forgot your library card? No problem! Now your smartphone can be your library card!
How it works
Using your smartphone as your library card is pretty simple. Here's how it works:
- Install a loyalty card app on your phone (see instructions below)
- Select your books and other library materials.
- Go to the Circulation desk (our self-checkout machines will not scan these apps)
- Hold out your phone so the clerk can scan your “card”
Please note: even if you use a Virtual Library Card, it is important for you to contact the library if you lose your plastic card.
Installing a card app
Follow these steps to install CardStar or Key Ring on your phone and add your library card. There are other options out there too.
- Install the CardStar app:
- Open the CardStar app.
- Touch the plus sign (+) button to add a card.
- Select "Tompkins County Public Library" in the list of merchants.
- Scan your library card number in the "Card Number" box. You can also enter the number manually.
- Install the Key Ring app:
iOS App Store - https://www.keyringapp.com/iphone_store
Google Play Store - www.keyringapp.com/android_store
Other Phones - keyringapp.com/download
Or scan the QR code to the right.
- Open the Key Ring app.
- Touch the (+) sign to add a card.
- Scan the barcode. You can also enter the number manually, but note that you must capitalize the “D” or the app will not recognize it.
- Tap “Select a Retailer” and search for or scroll down to “Tompkins County Public Library.”
- Touch the "Create Card" button to finish.