Library Use Value Calculator
What is your library worth to you?
How much would you pay out-of-pocket for your library services?
- Enter in the left hand column the number of times weekly, biweekly, or monthly that you or your family typically use each service OR the number of items you or your family typically borrow in the time period you select.
- Estimated retail value of each service (if purchased) will be calculated on the right.
- The total value of your library use will be shown at the bottom of the worksheet depending on the criteria you chose (weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Your Yearly Benefit will be shown at the top of the calculator.
- Tip: Tab between entries and do not use commas.
The values in the calculator were determined by the estimated cost of obtaining each of the items without the use of the library.
- Hardcover Books
- Adult Books
- Mass Market
- Children's Books
- $4.00 - average cost to purchase a popular periodical issue
- $10.50 Regal Cinema $10.50/adult eve.
- $12.00 - Audible.com cos:t 12 books/yr. annual fee $149.50
- Music CD
- $12.00 - 12 songs/CD - Average cost per song download 99¢
- Audiobook Download
- $12.45 - Average cost of Kindle download
- Database Use (weekly)
- $23.00 - Estimated weekly value is Average yearly subscription cost of one database ($1087.00) divided by 52 weeks and rounded up to closest whole dollar value
- Magazine/Newspaper Use in Library
- $3.50 - Average monthly cost of a popular periodical/newspapers issue
- Interlibrary Loan
- $30.00 - Average national cost for loans
- Study Room use/hr.
- $21.00 - Average cost from 7 organizations listed at hstc.org
- BorgWarner Community Meeting Room Use/hr.
- $60.00 - Estimate based on average of published room charges in 2009 Tompkins County Meeting Space Directory
- Program/Class Attended - Adult
- $7.00 - Estimate based on average local (Tompkins County) museum charge (Sciencecenter
- Program/Class Attended - Child
- $5.00 - Estimate based on average local (Tompkins County) museum charge (Sciencenter)
- Computer Use, e.g., Internet and MS Word per hour
- $15.00 - Sample hourly rate charged by FedEx (Kinkos)
- Reference Questions
- $7.25 - Estimated cost per question*
*Figures derived from estimates provided by the New York Library Association and customized for the Tompkins County Public Library March 2011.
Credits and more information about this calculator
Figures from the Library Use Value Calculator of the New York Library Association were used for reference; however, this calculator has been customized for estimated values for use of the Tompkins County Public Library.
What do you think? We'd love to hear from you. Let us know what value you calculated. Use our feedback form and send us your comments.