Library Use Value Calculator
What is your library worth to you?
While the impact libraries have on lives may be priceless, the savings they provide are tangible! Complete the survey below to find out how much you save by using TCPL!
- Enter in the left hand column the number of times weekly, biweekly, or monthly that you or your family typically use each service OR the number of items you or your family typically borrow in the time period you select.
- Estimated retail value of each service (if purchased) will be calculated on the right.
- The total value of your library use will be shown at the bottom of the worksheet depending on the criteria you chose (weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Your Yearly Benefit will be shown at the top of the calculator.
- Tip: Tab between entries and do not use commas.
The values in the calculator were determined by the estimated cost of obtaining each of the items without the use of the library.
- Adult Books (print)
- Young Adult Books
- Children's Books
- Audiobooks on CD
- $36.00 - pricing reflects the library's costs
- eBooks (e-print and/or e-audio)
- $4.50 - pricing is an average cost per issue
- $20.00 - pricing reflects the library's costs
- Music CD
- $12.00 - pricing reflects the library's costs
- Electronic Resources (digital content such as online magazine articles, books and booklists)
- $20.00 - price is calculated from vendor costs per usage
- Computer Use
- $20.00 - based on local commercial charges per hour
- Programs Attended
- $8.00 - price compares to admission at a popular, local, nonprofit venue
- Study Room use/hr.
- $22.00 - pricing for a small meeting room comparable to BorgWarner Room fees
- Information Service (Reference Desk help)
- $15.00 - New York Library Association is the source for pricing
- Computer Games
- $50.00 - Average of those bought in 2012
*Figures derived from estimates provided by the New York Library Association and customized for the Tompkins County Public Library October 2013.
** Adult, Young Adult and Children's hardcover, trade and mass market paperbacks - prices identified from trade journal reports and library consortium pricing proportionate to holdings by format.
Library Calculator values were gathered from trade journals, trade pricing and regional/local services.
What do you think? We'd love to hear from you. Let us know what value you calculated. Use our feedback form and send us your comments.