Ask a Librarian Online Reference
The online reference service at TCPL is available for ready-reference questions. We can provide brief answers to questions or suggest locations and sources to answer your question.
All questions will be answered within two business days, Monday - Friday, by email only.
As with all reference questions, email and online reference questions will remain confidential.
What We Can Do
- Answer simple, factual questions such as:
Who was . . . ?
When did . . . ?
What is . . . ?
- Answer your questions about the library and library services
- Answer simple questions about Ithaca and Tompkins County
What We Cannot Do via the Ask-a-Librarian email Service
- Answer lengthy or complex questions
- Answer broad or vague questions
- Genealogical questions or research. We do offer Tompkins County Research, but not through the "Ask-a-Librarian" service.
The public service reference desk is staffed all the hours the library is open. You may call the Reference Desk during library hours at 607-272-4556.
If you live outside our community, you may contact your local public, school, or college library.
Submit a Question
Please fill in all parts of the email reference form. If you do not enter a complete and valid email address, we may not be able to respond to your question. If you have difficulties submitting this form, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the reference desk at 607-272-4556. Thank you.
(If you would like to chat with a librarian online to ask a reference question, please visit the Ask Us 24/7 information page. Note that you may not be chatting with a librarian from this library.)