Ask a Librarian
In November 2008, The Ithaca Journal began publishing articles researched and written by Tompkins County Public Library librarians. These articles demonstrate the kinds of information we can help you find and the tools we use to find it.
If you would like to read the answer to this week's question, go to The Ithaca Journal website at www.theithacajournal.com. Columns usually appear in Saturday's "Life" section of the paper. You can use the The Ithaca Journal's search tool to look for "ask a librarian".
If you need help locating these articles, Ask a Librarian!
- Due to the economic downturn I recently lost my job and am looking for new ways to make and save money. Does the library have any resources that can help me in these endeavors?
- Is it true that flowers and plants have symbolic meaning?
- What is an Urban Legend? Does TCPL have any resources on this topic?
- I have to write a paper that compares the life and times of my generation with that of another. What resources does the library have that could help me accomplish this task?
- Do you have any books or other items that would help me to learn English? I would like very basic information. I am only starting to learn.
- Is our country headed for another " Great Depression," and where can I find information about what impact financial depressions have on the country?
- Where can I find information on children of former presidents?
- Where can a historical fiction writer find information about colonial America and Europe?
- My son's birthday is June 6, and I want to make him a birthday scrapbook. I was wondering what historical events other than D-Day share this date.
- When did the White House stop using slaves as servants?
- I love the Harry Bosch mysteries written by Michael Connelly and have read all of them. What other authors can I read while I wait for the next one?
- How do they come up with the names given to hurricanes? Are they always female names?
- I'm thinking of donating to a charity but would like to do some research on their organization. How do I know if a charity is legitimate and if they spend their funds appropriately? I heard that some of their completed tax forms are available to the public. Is this true?
- I've heard that Ithaca had a major role in the early film industry and was known as "Hollywood on Cayuga." Is this true?
- My mom always said, "Quiet in the peanut gallery!" when we were squabbling in the back seat. What is a "the peanut gallery" and where did this phrase come from?