Experience the joy of reading, the power of information and the strength of community connections at the Tompkins County Public Library. Exciting public programs, the latest digital resources, museum-quality art exhibits, internet stations, WiFi access, tools for developing early literacy skills and much more are free and accessible to community members of every age and every stage!
Our Library strives to inspire and educate all members of our community during each stage of their lives, to be a place where people can experience the joy of reading, the power of information, and the strength of community connections.
Tompkins County Public Library is a core community service. We provide free and open access to services, resources, and programs that foster literacy, cultural appreciation and personal growth and community connections.
— Adopted January 25, 2011
We provide more than 244,000 items in our handsome facility, and open the doors to the rest of the world via free Internet access and interlibrary loans.
To help you navigate our virtual sea of resources, we employ professional librarians who welcome your questions and challenges. We serve children, teens, adults, seniors and those with special needs of all kinds.
Our services reach beyond our walls into community reading centers and online services accessed from anywhere in the world.
This is your library. We hope you find whatever you seek here. Please let us know how we can help.
- A welcoming environment to enjoy the written and spoken word, cultural programs, and the arts
- A well-maintained and safe facility
- Lifelong learning
- A vibrant community and the library’s role as an active community citizen
- The importance of continuously evolving to meet changing community needs
- Privacy and confidentiality in patron use of library resources
- Intellectual freedom and the freedom to read
The staff of the Tompkins County Public Library is committed to carrying out the mission of the library through exceptional customer service. We will serve our library users in a friendly, courteous and respectful manner. We will provide prompt attention and service, accurate and clear information and results which meet or exceed expectations.
— Adopted May 5, 2004
Tompkins County Public Library Staff
We agree that the following five values are of most importance to us:
- Respect one another
- Communicate openly with one another
- Cooperate and mutually support one another
- Provide good customer service: be courteous, friendly, efficient
- Be self-motivated, professional, responsible